Powered by Blogger.
RSS
Post Icon

Chinese Novel Sharing - "Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio"

I had introduced some of my favorite movies or music in some of the previous posts. I would like to introduce my favorite book in this post. I have great interest in chinese history, novels and literature. "Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio" is one of my favorite books, which is a collection of nearly five hundred mostly supernatural tales written by Pu Songling in Classical Chinese during the period of early Qing Dynasty.

The main character of the book are ghosts, foxes, immortals and demons, but the stories written in the book actually focused on people's real life. Pu Songling used those oddities to illustrate his ideas of the social, society and government. Among those stories, I like "A Chinese Ghost Story" the most. This story is talking about a guy who named Ning Cai Chen meets a beautiful and alluring young maiden, Nie Xiao Qian in a temple and falls in love with her. However, Nie Xiao Qian is a ghost. Ning Cai Chen is willing to help Nie Xiao Qian to free her soul from suffering because of their true love.

It's a nice story. Besides that, there're a lot of other stories in this book. I would like to collect the whole stories since I'm now only have few of the collection.




The author - Pu Songling




Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio




A Chinese Ghost Story

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment